We're flying more too. The Bureau of Transportation Statistics reported this month that airlines carried almost 6% more passengers in the first 5 months of this year than they did during the same time last year.
Having diabetes shouldn't put a damper on your travel plans if you take a few precautions:
- Bring extra, and keep them with you.
- Keep them in their original packaging.
- Bring prescriptions for your meds in case of loss or an emergency.
- Keep your insulin cool.
- Bring snacks to cope with a low blood glucose or infrequent meals.
- Take a break to move around and stretch every hour or two. This will reduce blood clot risk and keep you comfortable.
- Check your blood glucose often. Changes in diet, activity, and time zones can affect your levels.