Thursday, November 05, 2009

Quarterback Jay Cutler Talks About His Diabetes

Eli Lilly recently hired Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler to star in a series of videos where he talks openly about his diabetes - how it was diagnosed and how he manages it. You can watch the videos on Lilly's "Touchdowns for Diabetes" site. Clicking the photo to the right will also take you there.

Culter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in April 2008, after losing 33 pounds. The transition to daily diabetes management has been challenging for him:
"Whenever you have to jab yourself with a needle, that's, ah, that's where it gets a little iffy."

"You're 24 years old, you don't expect things like that to happen in life."

"It's tough, you wake up with it and you go to sleep with it."

"I miss a lot of foods. I used to love desserts. I miss sweet tea. I miss lemonade. Do I ever cheat? Yes, I do. Reese's peanut-butter cups is my cheat-food."

"I'm still struggling with this, still trying to overcome stuff. I think, over time, you just get used to it and it becomes part of you. And, I'm not to that point yet."
Related: Chicago Tribune article:
Jay Cutler Discusses His Diabetes In Webisodes, Offers Encouragement To Others
________